Over past several months, I’ve advised about 8 software dudes & dudettes on making money online. I guess it makes sense for me to write down the stuff here so that I don’t have to repeat myself.
1. Its not ‘that’ easy: If you are thinking of starting a website to earn few bucks (you think in multiples of thousand, huh?), think again. Rather, I’d say get the basics right! Making money online is not as easy as it sounds. Yep, there are people who make thousands of dollars every month by running a network of sites. But it took them lot of hard work and dedication to reach there.
2. The money comes: From the advertisers who are willing to advertise on your website (or blog). Although modern ad-networks have simplified the process [to inserting a code snippet in your web pages], it purely depends on the traffic that your website gets. A simple equation would be – More traffic = more money.
3. Building Traffic: This requires patience and efforts & SEO. Don’t expect to get ‘lot of’ traffic for months! [Unless of course you’ve got something ground breaking news for the world]. Building traffic could be a separate post on this blog.
4. Useful content: Decide from where can you generate timeless, useful content! Once you figure this out, get started. Keep updating your site with kick-ass content on daily/weekly basis. Have something unique to offer to your audience.
5. Advertise!: You might have to spend few bucks to make few. If you can get people to talk about your site – you’ve got it! Otherwise, its time to learn few tricks from Sir Richard Branson. Promote your site wherever you go.
6. Get your own domain: Something that runs on a free service isn’t always very attractive. A dedicated domain for your site/blog ensures that you’re dedicated to your site and are serious about it. It makes a huge difference. If you have questions, post them in the comments. I’ll answer them as soon as possible.