My friend Mayur & I’ve a comment fight going on here –
Now, I happened to mention “Is Google really innovative?”. I used to think “Yeah, they are probably the most innovative company on the web”. But looks like I’m wrong. Google is a GREAT search engine. So I used Google to find out if they are really innovative
I found out following link : –
It looks like after Google search and possibly adwords, Google hasn’t done much of the innovation thing. And why should they waste their time in innovation? Adsense earns them so much money!
Here are some of the most popular Google’s services :-
- Google groups : Comes from Deja
- Google personalized search : Comes from Outride
- Blogger : Comes from Pyra Labs
- Gmail: Something to do with Neotonic Software
- Picasa : Comes from Picasa (startup)
- Google Maps/ Earth : Keyhole, Inc. [ I guess, these guys actually did the satellite photography thing]
- Google Desktop : Widgets come from Phatbits
- YouTube : Google acquired them for 1.6b dollars only. (because) Google video didn’t do well.
- Feedburner: Acquired by Google.
- Docs : Come from Writely
Detailed list is available at above mentioned link. Note that Google has also acquired number of web based search engine startups! Now, isn’t that a way to kill the competition? Hello, anyone?
Google is NO DOUBT the best search engine around. We should thank them for creating a kick-ass search engine. However, they’re spreading there arms into everything. Alright, no problem! They are a company and are free to do whatever they want. But hey, there is no one to stop them! Monopoly is NOT good!
Yahoo has given up. Microsoft isn’t doing great on the web, but they have the power and willingness to make it big on the net and give Google some serious competition. Let’s have a fair game here. If Mozilla can default search engine to Google, let Microsoft default it to Live. Don’t just love Google because you hate Microsoft. Both are great companies. Let’s have a competition so that the users win.
What do you say fellas? Let me know through comments and votes :