My popularity on YouTube is growing. Everyday about 800 people watch my simple video tutorials for newbie guitarists. I’m being frequently asked for tips. So here are the tips for newbie guitarists –
[Disclaimer: I’m not a Guitar Hero. I don’t know a lot more than you do about Guitar. But during past 8 years of my guitaring, I have learned few things. I’d like every newbie guitarist to know them.]
- You can’t be a guitar hero in a day, week, month, year or two. Accept it.
- Learning to play guitar is about 3 P’s : Practice, Patience, Persistence.
- Tip #2 sounds too MBAish. Sorry. But it’s true.
- It’s completely ok to learn, play and perform the music you like. You can be a good guitarist without growing hair, sporting ponytail, speaking Hindi in American accent.
- Guitar is a western instrument (Well, the roots of the instrument are Indian) and you should know the basics of Western Music.
- It is very tempting to jump on to the chords right away. Don’t do that. Start with scales and arpeggios no matter how much they bore you.
- Do not try to learn to play on your own. Find a good Guru. Always pay attention to what your guru tells you.
- Keep your mobile switched off when you are attending your guitar class. If you forget and Obama calls you, tell him, “I’ll call you back” in lowest decibles possible.
- Do not join guitar class because ‘she’ joined it. You’ll end up losing time, money and her.
- Practice every day till your fingers bleed. I mean, practice hard.
- Listen to all types of music and learn to appreciate every form of music.
- If possible, learn to read the music. It’s very hard, let me tell you.
- Fall in love with Guitar.
- Do this simple exercise every day: Pick up your favorite scale and set the metronome to 60 bps. Then try to pack as many notes as you can between two beats.
- Practise the ‘up-down’ strokes.
- Watch Malmsteen’s videos everyday.
Let me know if you did not understand any of the above tips.
–The Big K–