I’m generalizing from my own example. Why Maharashtrians don’t fare well in business.
- I worked on a project without ‘written confirmation’ from the client, to maintain the ‘relations’.
- I executed the task well before time, exceeding client’s expectations.
- I worked honestly.
- The developer I hired (another Maharashtrian [not intentionally] worked on the module without expecting a single penny. He’s just too modest when its about money; just like I am.
- Now the client [Marwardi folks] says they’ll pay 50% of the initial cost; and 50% after say 2-3 months.
- The client is now delaying my payments. While the service is being used & popular already.
- The developer whom I hired trusts me and says “its ok, yaar!” every time I call him to inform about the delay.
- I thought of future problems and worked on solutions to prevent them without charging a single extra penny.
- I did not charge for the ‘miscellaneous problems’ I faced while working on the project.
However I’m sure of receiving the payments because I still hold all the ropes. I don’t mind being evil – if required. And when I go evil – the client will say –
“You Don’t Mess With The Big K – ever”
That said, I’m learning from my own stupidity. I hope others learn too (especially the ones who are virgins in business).
–The Big K–