Today I received a message from “5432105” saying that says “Jobs on mobile will be renewed in 3 days. You will be charted Rs. 10 for 10 days of service. ….blah blah. SMS STOP to 121 to deactivate the service.“
Now, I’ve no clue whether Airtel is giving out free set top box to its employees as new year gift that its charging us for the services we didn’t request. Anyway, I decided to be a good citizen and followed the instructions sent by your automated service. Here we go:
- I sent STOP to 121.
- I received a message that said: Your request to Stop Services has been received. We shall get back to you in a few minutes with the options.
- I receive another message after few seconds: The following services are active on your mobile. To reply type the serial number of the service that you wish to ‘STOP’ 1. Job Alerts Service – 5432105 2. Audio Cinema Free Pack.
- I hit reply option and typed 5432105 and send the message. [Mea Culpa! They said serial number . But obviously, I typed the complicated code!]
- I get another message “bla bla ..not a valid option ..”
- Realizing my mistake (#4 above), I hit the reply button and send 1.
- I receive another message saying I must reconfirm my unsubscription by replying “1” to the sender once again.
- I reply and send “1”.
- I receive message “You have been unsubscribed from the Jobs on Mobile service. To get the best jobs matching your profile (??), dial *321*661# TOLL FREE!.
I guess #9 should have been “You have been unsubscribed from the jobs on mobile service. We will reactivate it in few minutes and charge Rs. 10 ….
So, Airtel. The biggest mobile service provider in India. I don’t mind you reactivating Jobs on Mobile service. Just spend that money on building more towers.
–The Big K–
PS: I was kidding in the last line.