As expected, the government today submitted the draft of their version of Lokpal and the members of civil society submitted their own draft. It’s quite obvious that the government does not want anyone ‘above’ them and that’s why they have put forward totally insane points in their draft. From what I learn, the government wants –
- Government to elect the jan lokpal.
- Government to reserve the right to remove the lokpal
- Exclude the Prime Minister from purview of the lokpal
- MLAs & MPs to be excluded from the lokpal and can be taken action against by lokpal only when they step down from power
- Chief Justice of India to be excluded from lokpal
I personally believe we need an independent system in this country to keep check on elected politicians and bureaucrats so that they don’t go unchained in eating people’s hard earned money.
In case the final draft of lokpal bill is made as per government’s wish, the lokpal will become nothing but a puppet to dance on government’s direction. I however wish to ask all of you to share your opinion on whether PM, Chief Justice, MLAs & MPs should be brought under the purview of Jan Lokpal. The comments are open for all of you. Let’s see what the ‘intellectuals’ among us think.